Mission & Vision
Winnipeg is a creative city, where art is integrated into all people’s lives. All people have access to the arts, are able to participate in the arts, value the arts, and are enriched by the arts.
The Winnipeg Arts Council funds, supports, and fosters development of the arts on behalf of the people of Winnipeg.
- The arts are essential to a vibrant and healthy community
- Artistic excellence and diversity of expression are imperative
- Grant making is based on a fair and equitable process of peer assessment
- Integrity, transparency, accountability and ethical practice is mandatory
- Encourage a thriving community of Winnipeg artists and arts organizations.
- Create accessible routes to the arts for everyone.
- Enhance community livability and vibrancy through art.
- Identify the central role played by the arts and artistic expression in every aspect of Winnipeg life.
- Develop new investment and support for the arts through innovative partnerships and collaborations.
The Corporation is an independent not-for-profit Corporation, created and mandated by the City to carry out the objects stipulated in its Articles of Incorporation by undertaking the following responsibilities:
- managing and carrying out the City’s arts and cultural funding programs, exercising final arm’s length authority to approve and issuing cultural grants;
- presenting for approval to the Standing Policy Committee on Protection and Community Services, a three (3) year Arts and Culture Business Plan to be adopted on an annual basis;
- managing a conditional grant from the City designated to fund the approved programs;
- advising the City on cultural policy;
- exploring partnerships and initiatives with other funding bodies, foundations and other groups;
- presenting to the City an Annual Report and an Audited Financial Statement;
- developing and maintaining a cooperative relationship with all City departments and staff working in cultural areas.
- managing and administering the City’s Public Art Policy and Program