Winnipeg's Contemporary Dancers: Production Manager/Technical Director/Venue Technician, Application Deadline April 26
Production Manager/Technical Director – Winnipeg's Contemporary Dancers
JOB DESCRIPTION / DUTIES
Production Manager/Technical Director/Venue Technician
Reports to: Administrator
Supervises: Technical Crew
The Production Manager/Technical Director/Venue Technician is a part-time seasonal management position responsible for overseeing, planning and coordinating all aspects of technical production for in-house productions, special events and third party rentals including staffing, scheduling and budgeting; overseeing all technical elements for productions, including working with third party rentals; overseeing all matters pertaining to the studio theatre including studio and equipment rentals; and operating sound and/or lighting for all WCD productions and presentations.
This position shall report directly to the Administrator while working closely with the Artistic Director for any and all matters pertaining to the coordination and supervision of artistic personnel as well as those matters that impact on artistic decisions.
In order to be successful in achieving its mission and objectives, Winnipeg's Contemporary Dancers requires a team-oriented environment in which all personnel may be required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the core responsibilities for their position. Notwithstanding, core responsibilities for this position include but may not necessarily be limited to the following:
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director and Administrator, development of budgets for productions. Once provided with a final budget, adhering to that budget unless approval to exceed is provided by the Administrator.
- Working with designers and composers to realize their designs in conjunction with the choreographer and Artistic Director (if not the choreographer), trouble-shooting designs for effectiveness, efficiency and safety. Costing out designs to determine whether they are feasible based on time, staff and budget. When necessary, consulting with designers and contract personnel to determine alternate methods and/or materials to ensure the design's safety, effectiveness, efficiency and viability within the Company's budgetary limitations.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, determining design and construction deadlines for choreographers, designers and contract production personnel; working closely with designers and contract personnel to ensure that those deadlines are met.
- Scheduling, booking and negotiating all rentals of theatrical equipment for WCD productions and presentations. Provide information to administration to prepare invoices.
- Create project budgets for emerging opportunities & future contracted services.
- Attending a sufficient number of rehearsals for each production or review video of presentations to be familiar with the work prior to the commencement of technical rehearsals.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, planning the annual rehearsal and performance schedule for the Company.
- Operating or supervising the operation of the sound and/or lighting boards for all level-setting sessions, technical rehearsals and performances for WCD productions and presentations.
- Selection, supervision, coordination and evaluation of all technical production personnel.
- Ensuring that the needs of stage management are met and that a clear channel of communication is maintained.
- Scheduling and supervision of all load-ins, technical and dress rehearsals.
- Reporting final expenses for each production or presentation to the Administrator within a reasonable and agreed-upon time frame.
- Trouble-shoot facility maintenance, informing any issues to the administration.
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director and Administrator, development of budgets for seasonal supplies, equipment and theatre maintenance.
- Maintaining sound and lighting equipment. Maintaining performance studio.
- Ensuring that adequate safety policies are in place for the studio and that all possible safety precautions are taken at all times.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of third party rentals.
- Ensuring that the technical needs of third party renters are met in a manner that is acceptable with the Company's safety policies, facility limitations and budgetary parameters.
- Hiring, supervision and coordination of all crews for technical work for third party rentals, when required.
- Working as our Venue Technician.
- Overseeing access to the facility by artists, technical personnel and third party renters by managing keys and security codes for these individuals.
- Reporting final expenses for each third party rental to the Administrator within a reasonable and agreed-upon time frame.
- Being responsible for the security of the Company's facility when it is being used for performances or third party rentals outside of regular weekday business hours.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIRED SKILLS
The individual in this position shall have previous work experience and possess superior interpersonal, project management, time management, personnel management, financial management and technical skills in lighting, sound, and basic special effects. The Company expects the Production Manager/Technical Director/Venue Technician to exhibit leadership skills; respectfully coordinate the work of all creative artists, performing artists and technical personnel; maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Company requires; ensure the safety of the workplace by adhering to all health and safety policies and procedures; and ensure the safety of performers, creative artists, staff and casual labour working in the Company's studio by taking responsibility for all special effects, equipment and rigging as it pertains to the use of the theatrical equipment.
- 44 weeks per year, part-time, 1-year contract with the possibility of renewal for a renewal period of three years.
- This opportunity begins August, 2019.
- The position is based on average at 20-hour per week - sometimes more, sometimes less, and requires attendance at setup, teardown and events that may occur in the evenings or on weekends. Depending on the Theatre rental schedule, it could be up to, or more than, 40 hours per week for some weeks of the year with time off in lieu for WCD activities and pay out from rentals.
- The successful candidate is required to provide the WCD with a criminal record check, a vulnerable sector and Child Abuse Registry check, both at the candidate's expense, prior to the start of employment.
To apply for this opportunity, please mail your cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Production Manager/Technical Director/Venue Technician
In your cover letter, please clearly identify how you meet each of the qualifications for the position, tell us why you are a good fit for WCD.
Applications must be received by Friday, April 26, 2019 at 5:00pm.
We thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. WCD is committed to diversity in the workplace and encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
Winnipeg's Contemporary Dancers is Canada's oldest, and longest running, contemporary dance company. The company creates, produces, presents, teaches, and promotes contemporary dance with a view to advance the art form for professional artists and audiences alike.
Founded by Rachel Browne, the company was initiated in 1964, incorporated as a registered charity in 1970, and has offered a subscription series since 1971.
WCD is a vital resource and presenter for the local and regional community. Committed to artistic excellence, the company has an impressive 55 year history, and has worked with scores of exceptional Canadian and international artists, presenting hundreds of performances across the country and beyond.
Now is an exciting time for WCD, we are celebrating our 55th year of operations, we recently appointed our new Artistic Director, Jolene Bailie, and we are ready to begin our new chapter.
To find out more about Winnipeg's Contemporary Dancers please visit: http://www.winnipegscontemporarydancers.ca/company/
Type: contract, part-time
$17.50 per hour
Deadline: April 26, 2019
Posted: April 2, 2019