Sarasvàti Productions: CALL FOR PARTICPANTS: LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER, June 15
Application Deadline: June 15, 2019
As part of Sarasvàti Productions' FemFest, we are excited to welcome Why Not Theatre and their production Like Mother, Like Daughter. They will be bringing together mothers and daughters who were born outside of Canada (newcomers, as well as those who may have immigrated many years ago) as well as Indigenous mothers and daughters, in order to create and perform in a participatory project whose 2016 Toronto premiere was described as "delicate, generous, inspiring, warm, funny, and in moments, heart-rending." (Sprockets & Greasepaint)
Directed by Rose Plotek, Like Mother, Like Daughter weaves together stories from 12 pairs of mothers and daughters into a performance of unscripted conversations performed by the mothers and daughters themselves. At the end of each performance the audience is invited to join the mothers and daughters for a meal– to continue the conversations.
No performance experience necessary! We're looking for real stories!
We're looking for mothers and daughters who…
- Are either Indigenous, or have migrated to Canada (at least one member of each mother-daughter pair must have been born outside Canada)
- Feel comfortable conversing and answering questions in English
- Span a variety of ages/generations (minimum age requirement: 14 years old+)
Selected mothers and daughters will be paid an honorarium for their participation, and will be expected to participate in all rehearsals, workshops, and performances:
- 6 workshop/rehearsal sessions, between September 7-17
- 3-4 selected performances, between September 19-21
All interested mother/daughter pairings are asked to submit an expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15th.