Nuit Blanche: Illuminate the Night - Call for Submissions, Application Deadline May 15
DEADLINE: May 15, 2017 (by midnight)
Illuminate the Night is a Canadian call that invites contemporary art submissions from any artist or group of artists to be exhibited at the eight annual Nuit Blanche Winnipeg: Saturday, September 30, 2017. Artists working in all artistic mediums are invited to submit projects- performance artists, installation artists, textile artists, graphic designers, media artists, architects and general creative thinkers – with a performance, exhibition or installation that will enthral, excite and possibly introduce Winnipeggers to something they have never seen or experienced before.
- You are an individual artist or you are submitting on behalf of an artists' collective
- You currently reside in Canada
- You agree to install your own work and be present at NUIT BLANCHE WINNIPEG
- You agree to allow images of you and your work to be used by and publicized as part of NUIT BLANCHE WINNIPEG, Culture Days Manitoba and the Winnipeg Arts Council.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Carefully review all FIVE sections of the online submission form before beginning. You will need to upload several documents including project description, installation details (both 500 word max), projected budget and bio (100 word max) and CV.
- Attach up to eight supporting image attachments (jpeg files, 1MB each max).
- Attach up to two audio/video links (5 min max). If your audio/video submission is part of a longer file, indicate start and end times.
- Artistic merit of project
- Strength of supporting material and/or past projects
- Potential to enhance the programming and experience of NUIT BLANCHE WINNIPEG
- Feasibility of the project, given time, location and budget restraints
- All installations/exhibits must be open the entire night of September 30 (approx. 6pm to 4am).
- A unique and engaging interpretation of the theme of "Illuminate the Night". Projects that utilize audience interaction, light and / or illumination are preferred.
A jury will choose ten Illuminate the Night projects. The jurors reserve the right to choose fewer or more projects. All selected projects will receive a $2000 honorarium. Half of the honorarium will be paid once project is chosen and an agreement is signed. The other half will be paid after the project is presented.
Honorariums for both open calls are made possible by the Winnipeg Arts Council, Nuit Blanche Winnipeg's Producing Partner.
- If the project includes a time sensitive performance, detail how many performances are planned and the length of each performance.
- Projects must be free of charge; cover charges and entry fees are not permitted.
- Project funding is the responsibility of the artist or group.
- Projects must be located in St. Boniface, Downtown or The Exchange District.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- By submitting an application, you agree that you have read and agree to all guidelines.
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATION
Chosen projects' information (including artist bio, images, and event details) will be included in promotional materials and the project will benefit from a marketing campaign to promote the overall event, driving attention to the website and printed guide. The campaign will include media partnerships, an integrated advertising campaign (outdoor, print, online, radio and television), a multi-level PR and social media campaign in association with Culture Days Manitoba. You may be expected to attend press events and/or interviews.
Participation in NUIT BLANCHE WINNIPEG will expose a considerable audience to your project and/or venue. Foot traffic ranges from several hundred to several thousand people.
VENUES / ZONES
Proposals should be for specific venues in one of the three official zones (St. Boniface, Downtown, Exchange District). Artists are also strongly encouraged to do some initial research on the feasibility of the chosen venue prior to submission.
We encourage the use of creative locations. Past locations have included parking garages, alleyways, parks, office buildings and sidewalks. Applicants interested in using public spaces are expected to comply with all requirements set by the City of Winnipeg Film & Special Events Office.
Please note: NUIT BLANCHE WINNIPEG Project Coordinator is available to assist and advise on venue selection and in securing any necessary permits. Artists are encouraged make contact as soon as possible to determine if any permits are required.
You will be notified by email no later than July 7, 2017 if your project has been chosen.
For more info, contact Monica Derksen, Project Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg values diversity and encourages artists who self-identify as members of the following groups to apply: women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.