Gimli Film Festival: Film Programmer, Application Deadline January 26
Purpose of the Position
The Film Programmer reports to the Festival Manager and Senior Film Programmer and is responsible to research, curate, coordinate and execute selection of the Beach Films, the Icelandic Film Series and all short film programming for the 18th annual Gimli Film Festival, July 25-29, 2018.
As an additional contract, the Film Programmer will also be responsible for managing Guest Services for attending filmmakers, including communicating with filmmakers, booking flights and hotels for out-of-town guests and helping to coordinate all Q&As and special filmmaker meet-ups.
Duties of Film Programmer
- Research, curate, book and overall manage the following films / series / screenings at the 2018 Gimli Film Festival:
- Beach Films (5-6 films)
- Icelandic Film Series (3-4 films)
- Short Film Programs, including MB Short Films, Canadian Short Films, MB Documentary Shorts, Indigenous shorts and other short film programs as required.
- Book and negotiate all screening fees of film series listed above (shorts according to the IMAA fee schedule and within a prescribed budget).
- Coordinate incoming/outgoing print traffic for the film series listed above, and maintain a detailed print traffic spreadsheet in coordination with the Senior Film Programmer.
- Coordinate film ratings for the film series listed above.
- Work with the GFF team to coordinate the film schedule and input the schedule data into the online database for all film series mentioned above.
- Write/review copy and input information (synopsis, director, runtime, etc.) for selected films into the GFF online data base, while working closely with other staff.
- Communicate with GFF Technical Coordinator and our A/V service providers to ensure they have exhibition copies of all films leading up to the festival.
- Provide a final report that summarizes your film programming and details the actions taken by film programmer including exporting a final list from the data base of all films by genre, venue, attendance and complete a SWOT analysis.
Duties of Guest Services Manager
- With information from the Senior Film Programmer, create an extensive contact list of all filmmakers attending the festival.
- Communicate with attending filmmakers as needed.
- For out-of-town filmmaker guests, book hotels or flights as needed and arrange for transportation via Gimli in coordination with other staff.
- Create a list of all the attending filmmaker Q &A sessions at the festival.
- During the week of the festival send daily communications to attending filmmakers about informal meet-ups and special events (and attend said events).
- Excellent understanding of the local and global filmmaking community and industry.
- At least two years experience programming or curating film festivals.
- At least five years involvement in the Manitoban, national or international film/arts community.
- Must demonstrate the ability to take initiative, show good judgment, and manage projects from beginning to end.
- Excellent writing, editing and proof-reading skills
- Exceptional ability to manage details and multitask in a fast –paced environment and meets deadlines
- Technical A/V or video editing skills a considerable benefit.
- Work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- GFF is an equal opportunities employer and as such we highly encourage applications for this position from women, indigenous persons or people of colour. If this applies to you please feel free to self-identify in the application process.
- Start date: March 1, 2018
- End date: August 30, 2018
- This is an independent contractor position. The independent contractor understands and agrees to the responsibility of his/her own CRA payments and reporting.
- Film Programmer must be in Gimli from July 23rd to July 30th. Accommodation will be provided.
- Film Programmer report to the Festival Director & Festival Manager and works in conjunction with the Senior Film Programmer & GFF Program Committee.
- Pay range from $15-$20/hr (depending on experience)
To apply please send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Film Programmer Application".
DEADLINE: 5pm, January 26th, 2018
Thanks for applying!