Assistant School Costume Coordinator
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is seeking a full-time Assistant School Costume Coordinator to join our team. This exciting opportunity is well-suited for those who enjoy creating beautiful pieces and have a knack for project management. Ideal candidates are energetic, meticulously organized, and have experience working in a theatrical setting. With your creativity, detail-oriented mind, and strong interpersonal skills, you will thrive in this role.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to an inclusive and diverse environment that values, respects and supports all individuals. We aim to have a workforce representative of the diversity within our community, and welcome and encourage applicants from various backgrounds including women, Indigenous people, racialized people, disabled people, people of all sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification endeavors.
As the Assistant School Costume Coordinator, you assist the School Costume Coordinator with the workflow of wardrobe needs for the Professional and Recreational Divisions of the School. In this position, you also perform sewing duties and are responsible for the sewing quality standards of the department.
HIGHLIGHTED DUTIES OF THE ROLE
• Work collaboratively with the School Costume Coordinator to ensure costumes are prepared for performances and dress rehearsals.
• Pull, pack, unpack costumes for School performances.
• Perform fittings for Professional and Recreational students.
• Mark costumes, apply flat patterns corrections, make alteration notes, and provide instructions to sewing staff.
• Perform patternmaking for School projects and select Company projects.
• Attend School studio dress rehearsals and assist student dancers backstage.
• Clean School costumes following studio dress rehearsals and performances.
• Assist the School Costume Coordinator in the storage and organization of School costumes at the Warehouse.
• Tour with School performances.
• Apply appropriate sewing and alteration techniques.
• Independently build basic garments.
• Select proper threads and needles for projects.
• Deliver completed product for fittings.
• Wash and pre-shrink materials prior to use.
• Smooth seams with heated irons.
• Measure and align parts, fasteners, or trimmings by following seams, edges, or markings on parts.
• Sew buttonholes and add or replace trim.
• Utilize serger, zigzag, and straight industrial machines.
The Wardrobe department is a fast-paced environment where meeting multiple deadlines on an on-going basis is required. The Assistant School Costume Coordinator has extensive contact with students, and utilizes standard equipment associated with a wardrobe department. Physical requirements of the position include standing for long periods of time making and cutting patterns, kneeling and bending during fittings, and lifting medium weight costumes.
Variable work hours include evenings and weekends with overtime required from time to time. Some travel and touring may be required. The Assistant School Costume Coordinator position works under a Collective Agreement with I.A.T.S.E Local 63.
WHAT YOU BRING
• High School Diploma.
• Minimum three (3) years of experience in a costume shop or professional theatre company.
• Experience working and communicating with children of various ages.
• Basic knowledge of fabrics, patterns and fit.
• Knowledge and experience of sewing and alteration techniques.
• Ability to dye fabrics a strong asset.
• Compliance with Safety and Health policies and procedures.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects and ensure deadlines are met.
• Capable of utilizing various industrial sewing machines.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Team oriented.
If you are qualified for this position, visit https://www.rwb.org/who-we-are... for application instructions. Candidates must submit a cover letter that showcases your personality and fit for the role, and resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to providing accessible employment while ensuring our recruitment process is barrier free. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates participating in all aspects of the assessment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be sent to [email protected].
Closing Date: Open until filled.
As part of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet hiring process, successful candidates will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and submit a satisfactory Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.