The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is seeking a full-time Head Carpenter to join our team. This exciting opportunity is well-suited for those who have vast experience in theatre production, carpentry, and are seeking an opportunity to showcase their leadership skills. Ideal candidates will enjoy leading projects, thinking outside the box, and are knowledgeable in safe stage practices. Driven team players with effective time management, a detail-oriented mind, and are flexible with shifting priorities are encouraged to apply.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to an inclusive and diverse environment that values, respects and supports all individuals. We aim to have a workforce representative of the diversity within our community, and welcome and encourage applicants from various backgrounds including women, Indigenous people, racialized people, disabled people, people of all sexual and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification endeavors.
As the Head Carpenter, you manage the overall technical integrity of all scenic and support elements for RWB events and productions in-town and on tour. In this position, you supervise Touring and Local Crews, providing leadership in the safe and effective installation, rigging, and operation of productions. Alongside the Production Manager, you work to manage and maintain the RWB warehouse and shop, and associated inventories. In this position, you function as a hands-on department head and crew chief, working closely with Stage Management and Artistic to disseminate production information, changes, and call times to production crew.
HIGHLIGHTED DUTIES OF THE ROLE
• Foster and maintain a safe work environment utilizing Workplace Safety and Health, and industry best practices.
• Work with the Company and Stage Management to ensure a cohesive touring company.
• Manage and direct the work of union and non-union production personnel of various technical departments in the theatre, shop, and studio.
• Supervise the load in/out process, installs, and strikes for all productions.
• Advance production and tour information with venues.
• Schedule and oversee crew calls.
• Supervise and manage production preparations, construction projects, and miscellaneous warehouse projects.
• Ensure compliance with all company policies, agreements, and contracts.
• Organize and oversee the ongoing maintenance of production equipment; actively troubleshoot issues and proactively address concerns.
• Create, maintain, and distribute complete and accurate show records including show notes, stage plots, crew tracks, and related tour and show information.
• Transport equipment between RWB facilities and venues.
• Liaise with required staff to resolve any technical issues.
The Head Carpenter works irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, with extensive travel required. This position requires the ability to lift and carry heavy loads of up to 50lbs, stand/sit for extended periods of time, and work at heights requiring access by ladder, scaffold, and aerial work platform. The Head Carpenter consistently works with multiple, changing deadlines and deliverables and must ensure deadlines are met.
WHAT YOU BRING
• Post-secondary education in Theatre Production, or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum five (5) years’ experience touring in a theatre or ballet environment with knowledge of professional work standards.
• Experience with woodworking tools, set construction, and a theatrical shop environment.
• Familiarity with carpentry, electrical, and mechanical repair.
• Knowledge and experience of safe stage rigging practices and standards.
• Demonstrated experience leading a crew.
• Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and Vectorworks CAD software an asset.
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license or willing and eligible to obtain within three (3) months of employment.
• I.A.T.S.E. Membership or ability to join.
• Detail oriented, resourceful, and flexible with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Sound leadership skills with the ability to manage diverse teams with varied skill levels.
• Strong written, mathematical, and analytical skills.
• Ability to safely operate standard theatrical tools and equipment.
• Capable of reading and creating technical drawings, plots, blueprints, and other technical drawings.
WHAT WE OFFER
• Health & Dental benefits paid for by the RWB.
• Matching RRSP program.
• Subsidized bus pass.
• Free onsite Physiotherapy.
• Complimentary tickets to RWB performances.
• Goodlife Fitness Membership discount.
• Employee Assistance Program.
If you are qualified for this position, visit https://www.rwb.org/who-we-are... for application instructions. Candidates must submit a cover letter that showcases your personality and fit for the role, and resume. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Royal Winnipeg Ballet is committed to providing accessible employment while ensuring our recruitment process is barrier free. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates participating in all aspects of the assessment and selection process. Requests for accommodation can be sent to [email protected].
Closing Date: Open until filled.
As part of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet hiring process, successful candidates will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and submit a satisfactory Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.