Curator of Exhibitions & Programming
Art Gallery of Swift Current
Art Gallery of Swift Current (AGSC) is accepting applications for a full-time, out of scope position reporting to the Director of the gallery. The Curator of Exhibitions & Programming contributes to the strategic and curatorial vision of AGSC, leading the development, curation, and administration of innovative exhibitions, offsite projects, programming, and events, with a keen eye to community engagement. The Curator plays a vital role in directing AGSC’s communications and visual representation, manages the acquisitions and ongoing stewardship of the permanent collection, assists with exhibition installations, and supports the general day-to-day operations of the gallery.
AGSC is an essential cultural hub whose small team provides high-calibre art exhibitions and experiences to the residents of southwest Saskatchewan. Recently under new Directorship, the gallery is poised to create and implement exciting new pathways for artistic growth and community engagement and is seeking a Curator who will take an active role in defining these evolutions.
- Minimum requirement of a Bachelor of Fine Arts OR commensurate education and experience.
- Two or more years of experience in art galleries, museums, and/or artist-run centres including evidence of experience coordinating exhibitions and/or artists’ projects.
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Saskatchewan and Canadian artists and art practices, with strong current knowledge of local, national, and international contexts for contemporary art and art interpretation.
- Experience in building sustainable relationships in community arts.
- Excellent emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills that foster a healthy environment and positive working relationships with artists, colleagues, donors, arts organizations, and audiences.
- Communications and design experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and grant writing skills.
- Capacity to work independently with minimal supervision, while maintaining the ability to collaborate as an essential part of a small, supportive team.
- Project management experience, with the ability to analyze, prioritize, problem-solve, and make decisions from research and conceptualization through project implementation, with strong administrative attention to detail.
- Solid organizational, time management, and budget management skills to successfully oversee multiple priorities.
- Flexible and able to embrace change and diverse points of view.
- Knowledge of art handling procedures and practices across a range of media.
- Computer literacy with knowledge of MS Office including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; Adobe Creative Suite; and AutoCAD, Sketchup, or other 3D modelling software. Familiarity with current publishing, design, and presentation software programs, as well as social media platforms.
- Ability to engage positively and professionally with the public to encourage positive art and culture experiences.
- A postgraduate degree in Curatorial Studies, Visual Arts, Art History, or Museum Studies.
- Experience working with underserved and equity seeking groups, BIPOC and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, youth, as well as unique needs and different abilities individuals and organizations.
- Experience in policy development and fundraising.
- Familiar with CADAC.
- Experience working/living in a rural community.
- A valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a valid driver’s license.
The salary range for this position is $63,511.46
to $77,271.41. The City offers an attractive benefits package and pension plan.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume no later than 4:30 p.m. on
November 20, 2023 to:
City of Swift Current
P.O. Box 340
Swift Current, SK
Fax: (306) 778-2194
Email: [email protected]
We wish to thank all candidates who apply, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.